This evening I went to a camper recruitment gathering for
Camp Marannook. It was great to see
families get excited about either sending their children as campers or going as
a family to Family Camp. It was exciting for a few reasons. First, because
having spent a great deal of time there in many capacities I am admittedly
biased and think Marannook is great. Second, because for campers, summer camp
at Marannook is such a fun experience that often turns into summer after summer
of fun and friendships. Third, because
there is such excitement and passion for the gospel at Marannook. Not in a
"we're a Christian camp so that means we'll have a Bible lesson each
day" type of way, but in such a way that the gospel absolutely permeates
everything about Marannook. It excites me to know that the campers will hear
truth during their week at camp.
The counselors spend more weeks in deep study of the Word
and learning age-specific characteristics about children and coming up with
ways to relate every last thing they do with their campers to the gospel than
they spend weeks with campers. The
camp's mission is actually to nurture the counselors and grow them in their
relationship with Christ through rooting them in the Word. As part of this
process, the counselors in turn nurture their campers and are able to share
with them the gospel through both word and deed, while having an incredible
amount of fun.
Each summer I also get excited for the new group of
counselors. First, I have been there, so I know what's in store for them, and
how much of an impact my summer as a counselor has had on my life. We studied 2
Timothy 1. That's right...80-something hours in 1 chapter of 1 book of the
Bible. (And then later 20-something hours in a few chapters in Exodus). And it
was amazing.
And then there are the campers. Let's just say, I had
babysat a lot, had worked at a day camp, and I thought that I really
appreciated my parents. Well, after the first week of being with my campers
24/7 for 5 days, I not only greatly increased my appreciation for everything
parents do, but my view of God grew. I remember thinking, "Lord, it
doesn't take much for my patience to be tried with these girls and for me to
feel frustrated, and I am just a person; whereas You are the Holy God and knew
I will sin against you every day of my earthly life even after salvation and
yet you chose to love and forgive me anyway."
One of the best things about Marannook, is Mr. Charles and
Mrs. Barbara, the owners and directors. They have been such an example to me of
Godly marriage and what Biblical manhood and womanhood look like.
They desire to invest their lives in the counselors and see
them leave Marannook at the end of the summer rooted firmly in Christ and
striving to follow him in all areas of life.
They also talk a lot about family, the roles of the husband and the
wife, and the importance of being intentional in how you raise your children.
So, I am excited for the children who will see and hear the
gospel lived out before them this summer, the counselors who will dive into the
Word and see a much different picture of marriage and family than the world
tells us is right, and the unknown
people who will one day be affected and Lord-willing hear the Gospel
because someone went to Marannook this summer.
Here's some pictures from one of my favorite places:
![]() |
| My Jr. High Camp team. Several of these girls have been on Training Staff themselves now, and some of them are now married...I feel old! |
















No comments:
Post a Comment