Monday, July 12, 2010

Change



We all experience change in our lives. Sometimes we actively seek it, other times it happens regardless of our desires.

In my previous post I mentioned Camp Marannook. Last Monday morning they woke up to an undesired, undreamed of change: Manna Hall had burned to the ground overnight. In many ways, this building was the heart of camp: campers and staff ate here, the kitchen girls cooked amazing food here, good fellowship happened on the deck here, people called home from the telephone booths here, and many more things happened here. It could be crazy, fun, and loud when campers were present and then be quiet, peaceful, and serene when they left.  I am only one person, but I have many, many memories that were made at Manna.
Despite the loss of one of the key structures, camp goes on.  Mr. Charles, the camp director, phrased the loss as "The Lord took Manna". That is not the perspective that many would have during such an event. But, he is right. The Lord allowed Manna to burn, and He is already showing His hand of provision. Campers and staff have been blessed with meals and the Lord allowed the funds to complete a new building last summer with ample space to feed everyone and have meetings. The Lord also showed his hand of provision by protecting the rest of the camp. Manna is/was surrounded by trees, and the flames could have easily caught a tree on fire which could have then had disastrous results. The Lord graciously contained the fire to Manna.  Interestingly enough, the theme for the week was "The Lord is in Control". How true that is!

It is so easy to step back and say/see/believe that "The Lord is in Control" and to see God's providence and mercy in the middle of a bad situation when it is somebody else's situation. I am not at Marannook, and am not directly affected by the situation or responsible for fixing it, so it is easy for me to say/see/believe these things. But when undesired change happens in my own life, it is so easy to complain, think that its not fair, and feel sorry for myself. I hope that I will remember that "The Lord is in Control" over all of my life, both the good, anticipated changes and the seemingly bad, unexpected ones.

As the song says, "Lord, You give and take away. You give and take away. My heart will choose to say, Lord blessed be Your name".  I hope that this will be my attitude and perspective as I go through life!

No comments:

Post a Comment