September always reminds me of those children and families that I don't think I'll ever forget. From babies to teenagers those sweet children will never know how the Lord used them to teach and mold me. I learned a lot of about medicine and the practical how-to's of being a good nurse, but I also learned a lot about walking through trials myself as well as walking with others through their trials. Nothing in nursing school prepares you to hug a mama whose son was just diagnosed with cancer or a mama who just lost her daughter after her cancer returned mere weeks after the end of treatment. Conversely, nursing school also doesn't prepare you for the amazing experience of watching children have their "new birthday" as they receive a life-giving transplant or for the laughs and good times that happen oh-so-frequently.
One of my favorites was this sweet child - her family lived the hope of the gospel throughout the time I cared for her during her transplant. Her story is told by her family and CURE, a wonderful organization that has played a huge role in funding pediatric cancer research. As a nurse, I especially appreciated the free dinner for family and staff they provided every Thursday night!
Lord willing there will soon be an earthly cure for childhood cancer, but I'm glad I know that once Christ returns and has finished bringing restoration to his creation it won't even exist any longer!!
No comments:
Post a Comment